EXCALIBUR is a recognized national expert in providing third-party technical engineering and cost impact reviews of insurance claims involving environmental contamination. As a longstanding third-party technical reviewer, we have identified and saved clients tens of millions of dollars in unjustified or unsubstantiated costs subsequently not reimbursed by insurance providers. Our staff of claims review experts, environmental professionals, cost estimators, and remedial experts routinely serve as technical advisors on complicated claims under review for coverage and cost reimbursement.
EXCALIBUR‘s services range from prompt desk-top assessments and interviews to preparing detailed technical opinion letters describing the appropriateness, completeness, or deficiencies in claims relative to insurance and established industry standards and regulatory requirements. Environmental insurance companies and adjusters, third party administrators and their attorneys have relied on our expertise since 1999 to:
- Assist with determining claims eligibility;
- Ensure claims expenditures are truly necessary and costs are reasonable;
- Untangle eligible from ineligible activities under policy coverages;
- Evaluate claims involving soil and groundwater contamination, contaminant release timing and sources, co-mingled pollution, cross-boundary releases, questionable expenditures and response actions, and efficiencies of expensive investigations and remedies.
- Forensically age-date soil and groundwater contamination to identify sources and timing of releases;
- Conduct remedial technology alternatives analyses to identify appropriate courses of action;
- Prepare independent engineering cost projections for comparison to proposed or incurred claim costs;
- Review claimant invoices, billing practices, reimbursement requests and back-up documentation;
- Develop detailed requests for competitive bids for work eligible under claims; and
- Technically support strong, winning counter-offers and arguments against unsubstantiated claims, inappropriate costs, or fraudulent claims.
Since inception, EXCALIBUR has never lost a single challenge to any of the many claimant protests of our technical opinions.